I attended the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, produced by the Consumer Technology Association (name change from Consumer Electronics Association last year.)
I've been attending regularly, although of late, it's usually every other year, as I seek to see major changes in the electronics industry, and lately, I haven't seen many significant revelations in just one year, although the event is a gadget lovers paradise.
A good friend and I also attend virtually, surfing the web sites that report the news from CES, and the summary of the trends in the industry, and new announcements, which are almost impossible to see in a 5 day show. I wouldn't trade the actual experience of being there in person with only online information, but it's in the online information that much is revealed.
Here, then are some of the sites that we've visited with updates you may wish to visit yourself as well:
- My presentation on CES given to the Central Florida Computer Society on February 14th: http://bit.ly/2016_CES_Trends
- Adam Blakin covers CES Unveiled, an event prior to the opening of CES to the general public: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4rFeaHETU&feature=youtu.be
- Gary Shapiro, President of the Consumer Technology Association, gives the keynote presentation for CES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9BmTsLWaEs
- The Last Gadget Standing: An annual event at CES as producers of new products compete to be the winner of a competition. Link to their site with the nominees and winners: http://lastgadgetstanding.com/2016lgs-2016lgscategories/2016-finalist/
Video presentations of the finalists and the award ceremony: http://lastgadgetstanding.com/2016-video-gallery-ces-2016/
- Two of c/net's many journalists covering CES summarize their top ten picks from the show in a 15 minute presentation: http://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2016-the-final-word/
- Reviewed.com's top picks from CES: http://www.reviewed.com/events/ces2016/awards
- c/net's review of OLED TV's from CES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcv_vv5t33k
- DEsign News Blog covering 5 of the coolest 3D Printers from CES: http://bit.ly/CES_Coolest_3D_Printers
- Check out this video of the 3D printing of a beautiful deer model on the Ultimaker 2 3D printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Next Generation Cars at CES video presentation by Time Warner Cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd--FdGK3xE&feature=youtu.be
- Virtual Reality at CES video presentation by Time Warner Cable: https://youtu.be/Ibw1RktQl7E
- c/net reviews the Elac America Uni-Fi UB5 bookshelf speaker which the reviewer states, "The results left me positively beaming. http://www.cnet.com/products/elac-uni-fi-ub5/
- Drones were everywhere at CES. Now there is an anti-drone rifle that lets police take control of UAVs with radio pulses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaC5QAtBlrI
- (Watch this post for additional links)