Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gadgeteria From CES - 1




PC to PC File Transfer For Dummies

It seems that the "For Dummies" brand is everywhere. So it came as no surprise when I came across this USB gadget at CES that is branded similarly. As one would suspect, it's a very simple matter to connect it to two computers and transfer files back and forth with ease. No software is required; the device contains software that runs on both computers shortly after it is plugged in.

Here's a picture of the display on my desktop computer showing my notebook's Pictures folder on the top and my desktop's My Pictures folder on the bottom.



I was in the process of transferring my pictures from CES from the notebook to the desktop, so I just dragged and dropped the folders I wanted from the top frame to the bottom and 10 seconds later, 51mb of pictures were copied.

By comparison, my notebook was also on a wireless network with my desktop, so I duplicated the transfer using Windows Explorer. The same folders took 45 seconds to transfer, and that over a 100mbs network.

Here are the stats:

Drag-n-Drop to transfer files
  • Software displays the contents of both PCs
  • Transfer speeds up to 25 Mb/sec
  • Use for old PC to new PC migration, PC to PC file transfers or data back-ups
  • Free technical support

Plug it in - screen displays contents of both PCs
  • Built-in software automatically loads and runs itself within seconds
  • USB 2.0 (1.1 compatible)
  • Move files between most Windows® computers
  • Retractable cables
Minimum Requirements

  • Windows 98SE*, ME, 2000, XP or Vista
  • Processor: 166 Mhz or above
  • Memory: 128 MB or higher
  • USB 2.0 or 1.1 port interface
  • 3 MB hard drive space

Specifications

  • Standard USB A-type plug
  • Extended cable length: 32 inches
  • LED indicator flashes while transferring
  • USB powered
  • 1 year warranty
Retail price is $39.95 plus shipping from https://www.filetransferfordummies.com/cart-address.asp , but using Google's shopping link and searching on "PC to PC File Transfer for Dummies", I got a range of prices starting from $19 and up, so shop wisely.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Scamming the Scammers

Isagenix: Can You Afford Not To?